Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Acts 16

Hey guys it’s Zack (with a K please and thanks) talking about Acts chapter 16. So I’m hoping all of you actually read the chapter before you read this blog because that would be pretty dumb if you didn’t. To recap though, Paul and Silus got thrown in prison and this is where they praise and worship like wild people and an earthquake came and the doors flew open and the shackles broke loose. That’s pretty much the chapter in a nutshell, but as cool as this is, how does it apply to us today?

I don’t think I’m the only one who reads Acts who wonders why the crap this stuff isn’t happening today. I mean seriously doesn’t the Bible say “In the latter days I will pour out my spirit on all flesh?” Why isn’t it happening? I think it all boils down to our daily pity parties and feeling sorry for ourselves.

Look at what the disciples went through. In this chapter alone Paul and Silus got beaten and thrown into prison. Yet still in this circumstance they decided to praise God with all they had. Something happens when you praise God out of utter brokenness. There is something about that “breaking point” (thanks dennis for an awesome message last night) that makes God listen. If we can learn to praise God wholeheartedly despite our good or bad circumstances then I believe we will start to see things happen on our campus and in our lives. It was when Paul and Silus had nothing else that they praised, and even when they had everything, they still praised. When we come to the realization of God and His holiness, we start to realize that we can’t worship God for only what He has done in our lives, and the blessings He has given us. When we realize that we must worship Him for nothing other than the fact that He exists and He deserves it, then we will see a breakthrough.

I wonder what was going through the mind of the other inmates when Paul and Silus, who seemingly had no reason to live, decided to start going crazy at midnight. I think it’s the same thing our peers will think when we grasp this concept. I think the awakening that is about to take place is going to have a lot of similarities to this chapter. When we start praising out of a sincere heart we will start seeing some breakthroughs.

I pray that we will worship Jesus so that others will be baffled by our passion, and that in our darkest prison He will break everything and bring everyone to their knees. I desire with everything in me to see a move of God across this nation that brings us back to our knees…back to the cross.

Much love and peace out,

Zack

(Oh and check out “We Win” by David Crowder…it’s a pretty good song for today’s chapter…)





No comments:

Post a Comment