Sunday, February 20, 2011

Acts 20


Pressing on through Greece and Ephesus, Paul and his companions encountered much opposition. Today we struggle with smallest hint of conflict, but Paul was going onto large communities and declaring the name of Jesus. He was telling people that they were wrong to believe in all of their false gods and idols. He was preaching a change in culture and ideas where Jesus and repentance were in the focal point. Whats amazing about the God we serve is that Paul's preaching worked, and the whole region began to notice from conversions to raising a young man from the dead, God was clearly present with Paul on his journey. People will get hostile, there will be bumps in the road, but God's word will prevail no matter what. The most angry at the time were the craftsman and metal workers who made the small idol replicas and sold them for profit. The craftsmen were losing business from the many that were being influenced by the radical message of Christ. An uproar as well as rioting followed. Can you imagine if we as Christians took such a stance against sinful things that whole businesses collapsed and lost their influence. This in fact is what was happening, and believers were worried for Paul's safety, but he states that,

22 “And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. 23 I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. 24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.

-Acts 20:22-24(NIV)

The believers were saddened about the fact that they would never see him again, but he knew had to go, he was driven. I once heard a songs lyrics..."I am driven, by a force within my soul. I am branded, by a fire out of control. I am called to change my world, this is passion..." (This is Passion, Chet Caudill). Paul had this passion, and the Lord watched over him and directed him through Europe and Asia to preach the gospel and encourage believers. We too should reflect this same passion in our own lives.

Sincerely,
Gabe Lawrence



No comments:

Post a Comment